Revenues by product(as percentage of revenues)
Revenues by operating segment(as percentage of revenues)
Unit shipments(comparing iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac)
Unit shipments growth(comparing iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac)
- made by Francesco Schwarz
- get news and updates on Twitter
- main sources:
- other sources:
- many thanks to Horace Dediu from Asymco for being a great source of inspiration and information
- chart powered by Highcharts JS
- chart exports licensed under the CC BY 3.0 license
- I use Apple’s updated figures from the amended accounting principles and the reclassification of historical information.
- The iPod was released in Q1/02 but Apple declared unit sales and revenues only since Q4/02. Thus the first three quarters are based on reconstructed values. However they should be pretty accurate.
- “Software” and “Peripherals” revenues were listed separately only since Q1/01. For convenience I halved revenues before Q1/01 for those items, which should roughly reflect reality.
- “Restructuring costs”, “Purchased in-process research and development” and “Executive bonus” aren’t listed in “Cost and operating expenses”. So far those assets only showed up in the time period from Q2/99 to Q4/04. Contact me if you’re interested in the total operating expenses from that time period.
- In some quarters of 1999 and 2000 internal-use software from “Property, plant and equipment” was listed as a separate asset. For the sake of consistency I incorporated that asset into “Machinery and equpiment” for those quarters.
- Apple didn’t mention the number of retail employees for Q3/05. The SEC filing mentions 456 terminated positions, but it’s doubtable that they are retail related. I just took half the increase from Q2/05 to Q4/05 which should roughly reflect reality.
- The average time an employee spends with a visitor is calculated by dividing ( 12 weeks/quarter × 40 hours/week × 60 minutes/hour ) by the average number of visitors per employee. Please keep in mind: the number of visitors to retail stores is a hard figure as counted by the ShopperTrak system. It does not indicate the number of those people who actually make contact with a store employee. Apple has previously said that about 25 % of visitors go to the Genius Bar. Of the remaining 75 %, probably a fairly large percentage of visitors don’t contact an employee, but rather are just browsing by themselves or are using the products for non-purchase purposes.
- Q4/12 was the last quarter Apple reported Mac unit sales by operating segment and Mac Portables vs. Mac Desktops unit sales.
How to use it
- Toggle the visibility of data series
- By clicking on a legend item you can toggle its visibility. The chart is highly customizable to fit your needs.
- Zoom in on a specific region
- By clicking and dragging you can zoom in on a particular time frame you’re interested in.
- Download the chart
- Export the chart in the data format you need. Use it for your next presentation or article (CC BY 3.0 license).
- Average selling price (ASP)
- ASP is computed by dividing revenues by unit sales.
- Earnings per share (EPS)
- EPS are computed by dividing net income by shares.
- Gross margin
- Gross margin is the difference between net sales and cost of sales divided by net sales. This represents the percentage of each dollar of a company’s revenue available after accounting for cost of goods sold.
- Sequential change
- Sequential change compares one period to the period immediately preceding it (e.g. Q1/10 compared to Q4/09).
- Year-over-year change
- Year-over-year change shows change over the corresponding time period of the previous year (e.g. Q3/08 compared to Q3/07).
Contact and feedback
I want to improve this site to make it more useful for you. If you have questions, ideas or complaints just drop me a line.